Translated family letters can be found below:
We hope that your children had a safe and enjoyable March Break. We have been actively planning for the next school year, and while most students are now attending school in person (face-to-face), we recognize that some families may wish for their child to continue online learning. The Government of Ontario recently announced that school boards must continue to offer students virtual learning for the 2022-2023 school year. Accordingly, for 2022-2023 school year YRDSB is providing face-to-face (F2F) and Virtual Learning through an Elementary Virtual School (EVS) and Secondary Virtual School (SVS). Our plans do not include hybrid learning next year.
If your child will be attending school in-person (face-to-face) next year, no action is required.
If you would like your child to attend a virtual school for the 2022-2023 school year, or would like more information about our virtual schools, please read further.
● Students in Grades 9-12 receive a daily schedule that follows a typical four period schedule of four 75 minute periods and a common lunch period.
● Each 75 minute period will include a minimum of 60 minutes of live (synchronous) learning.
● Learning will follow the Ontario curriculum and follow teaching patterns similar to a regular classroom such as small and large group learning opportunities, with students engaging with their teacher and classmates.
● Compulsory Courses are offered from grades 9-12 and a limited number of elective courses are available from Grades 9-12. It is important to note, like any school, student demand will influence ongoing course planning and some courses may not be offered. The Secondary Virtual School will follow the same course planning and scheduling timelines as schools with a regular school year calendar.
● Families and students are encouraged to review the Secondary Virtual School Course Calendar as optional specialized programming is not available, including Advance Placement, International Baccalaureate, ARTS, SHSM, French Immersion. All Special Education Classes are available from grades 9 -12.
● Supporting students with special education needs is a priority in both learning models. Special education staff will continue to support students in both models. In September, families of students with IEPs will be contacted by the virtual school for consultation on their child’s IEP. Families of students in Special Education Community Classes will be contacted by their virtual school with the Google Classroom and on-line meeting details.
● Students in grades 9 - 12 can further access course information through their MyPathway Planner Account accessed through board login. It is important to note that not all courses will be available and that not all courses are offered in all periods as course offerings depend on a number of variables including student demand.
● Students and families with questions about post-secondary options that require specific courses are encouraged to contact their current school’s Guidance Staff. All students can make appointments with Guidance staff to discuss any course selection pathway questions.
● As outlined by the Ministry, courses taken in virtual schools cannot be used toward the two eLearning credits required for graduation. More information about this requirement will be communicated to all families this spring.
● Co-curricular clubs and events will be offered virtually.
● Graduating students applying to University or College will do so through the YRDSB’s Secondary Virtual School and the school name “YRDSB’s Secondary Virtual School” will appear on the diploma.
● Graduating students will be able to attend the Secondary Virtual School Graduation.
For further information please visit our Virtual School FAQs for families.
The Virtual School Transfer form is for York Region District School Board students who would like to transfer to the Elementary or Secondary Virtual School for the entire 2022-2023 school year. This form is intended for parents/guardians to complete and a separate transfer form must be completed for each child requesting a transfer to a YRDSB virtual school. Please discuss with your child before submitting this Virtual School Transfer Form.
Families who have shared decision-making responsibilities are to come to an agreement before completing this form. When selecting the learning model, students and families should expect to remain in the selected model for the full school year. We recognize that making this decision at this time may be challenging for families, however this information is necessary to create an effective and supportive school timetable.
If you wish for you/your child to attend the elementary or secondary virtual school for the 2022-2023 school year please complete the Virtual School Transfer Form below.
IMPORTANT: The Virtual School Transfer Form will be open from March 31 to April 7.
After submitting the Virtual School Transfer Form, you will receive an email after April 8 confirming that you have submitted the Virtual School Transfer Form for Virtual Learning for the 2022-2023 school year. If you notice an error when you receive your confirmation email, please contact your child’s school.
IMPORTANT: The most recent submission will be used as your final decision for the entire 2022-2023 school year.
IMPORTANT: No submission is required for a student to attend face-to-face for the entire 2022-2023 school year. We know that families have many questions about the return to school, and we will continue to share information with you as it becomes available and to share information, videos and resources on our Board website at www.yrdsb.ca/school-reopening.
**The information collected on this form is collected under the authority of the Education Act R.S.O. 1990, c E.2, s.8.1, and will be used by the York Region District School Board for the general administration of our schools. All personal information collected on this form will be maintained in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O., 1990, c. M.56, s. 29. Any questions regarding the collection of information on this form may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arabic - العربية
Farsi - فارسى
Gujarati - ગુજરાતી
Hebrew - עברית
Korean - 한국어
Punjabi - ਪੰਜਾਬੀ, پن٘جابی
Russian - Русский
Simplified Chinese - 简体中文
Tamil - தமிழ
Traditional Chinese - 繁體中文
Turkish - Türkçe
Urdu - اردو
Vietnamese - Tiếng Việt
The Virtual School Transfer Forms are available below